7/26/09

Hangover Misery featuring Sally Shapiro


At first I was just going to do a track-by-track review and be done with it, but then I realised that it wouldn't do Sally Shapiro's sophomore album justice. My Guilty Pleasure isn't a collection of songs just randomly A&R'd together - it's an album, which is pretty rare to encounter these days. That's not to say that the songs don't work individually - it just makes a whole lot more sense as one complete piece.

The instrumental opener "Swimming Through The Blue Lagoon" leading into "Looking At The Stars" is beautiful and sets the tone for the album perfectly. The second single, "Love In July", that's been accompanied by this years most saccharine video (below), seems to have almost been woven into the album and it's hard to imagine it out of context from the album. And that's pretty much the story with all tracks on the album - even the Disco Romance era tracks "He Keeps Me Alive" and "Jackie Jackie" seem to fit flawlessly in. 


Slutty fish seeks whale cock for fun times!

Despite me going on and on about the songs making more sense in the context of the album, there is very much single material on there - the bangin' "Save Your Love" screams out for some club mixes. As do "Moonlight Dance".  Hell, overall I think the entire album could be given the remix treatment, much like Disco Romance was.

However, what I truly like about this album is that unlike a lot of other 'quirky' pop starlets these days, and much like her first album, the air isn't filled with a sense of douchebaggery. It's not overly pretentious, it's not in your face, her image hasn't been put together by a hard-working team - this is Sally, and these are the songs she sings. And with pop acts today trying to cover up eventual flaws by adding some glitter, it's easy to forget that sometimes it should be enough.

On a related note, I'd also like to add that it's the perfect antidote against hangover misery, even if I'm sure it's good for other occasions. Do yourselves a favour and pre-order it today.

1 comment:

Mike said...

What a fabulous post! I couldn't have said it better myself. "My Guilty Pleasure" is one of those recordings that needs to be listened to in its entirety - it's cohesive and beautifully put together. She's so low key about everything from the cover art to her behaviour in general. This album has really turned me into a huge fan.

I hope she releases a remix album like she did for "Disco Romance"!